My Blog List

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Modular Madness Critique

Materials:
I do believe that because I used styrofoam cups that the piece works well. I am 100% sure that the piece could be made from other items styrofoam cups were just the most financially sound for me at the moment. I would love to try using some other medium! The actual use of the styrofoam cups was not really my problem it was the STATIC!!! I would like to see where to put things in advance and the cups would stick to my hand rather than the actual piece! We worked out our differences by the end. I discovered that I could indeed make bends and curves with styrofoam cups WITHOUT bending them. Hooray for playtime!
Concept:
I believe that I managed to keep the material's function and purpose in tact. Cups hold things, mainly drinks, except these cups prefer to hold each other! I do not believe that the viewer's view of the styrofoam cup is changed. Well maybe the viewer might want to build a rollercoaster out of cups!
Craftsmanship:I believe the way the piece is put together does not hurt the piece. I think it may draw away from some points but the points are still very noticeable in my opinion.
Process:
I do not believe my piece beyond average scale or materials (though I did use ALOT  of cups). My piece did change quite a bit from my initial imaginings. It was supposed to have legs and some kind of eye in there but I turned the legs to tentacles and made some crosses and built the illusion of a dome around it. Then the more I got into the piece the more it started to remind me of a church and the tentacles reminded me of snakes. (I'm seeing some symbolism here o.o ( completely unintentional by the way)) I believe that my piece is more ambitious in its final stage as it has more to it than my initial concept. The ending result is more ambitious in my opinion because what would of been a bunch of cups on legs turned into a bunch of cups  with psychedelic wiggly arms turned roller coaster turned snakes with crosses.
Form:
The two most dominant elements would be shape and color. The elements are important to the piece because of the where the piece is situated. My piece is near a stark white color and is set down on the brown mauve looking floor. As for the shape the coils draw the eye to it.
Similarity/difference and unity are both implied in the work. Crosses and snake like objects are in the piece seemingly living in harmony yet they are both similar and different in the meaning. You cant have one without the other.
Presentation:
I chose where my piece was because I have these white styrofoam cups next to some dismembered lawnmowers. and the white of the cups contrast well to the floor. I think my piece notices that the others are there but is like " HEY WORLD LOOK AT ME" kind of because you have all these colors around and in the middle you have something that is colorless.

I chose these three criteria firstly because I had a war with myself choosing exactly what I wanted to use. I started to think plates then I went to spoons then I thought about legos. The list is endless Concept wise I did not know what I was doing until after I had started and made some altercations as I went along this process. I also chose Craftsmanship because I had the hardest time choosing what  and how to bind. Toothpicks were brought to my attention and it didnt work to well with me. I tried paper clips that didnt go over so well either. After the failed attempts I went and cried in the shower (ha Kathy) and went with the ever so tempermental hot glue gun.

1 comment:

  1. hope shower was refreshing and the cry was good! :)

    the three things you picked are to talk about tomorrow BUT on yor blog you still need to answer ALL the questions. how is that for a big but?!

    ReplyDelete